The Itascatur Outdoor Activity Club is formed to promote physically healthy,
non-motorized outdoor recreational activity in the Hubbard County area.
Summer Group Rides
Join us! All skill levels and ages welcome!
Itascatur Ski, Bike and Run Club is hosting five bikes rides each week this summer. Each ride will have a different focus and will be for various levels of cyclists, new riders through advanced level. Come and join us for one ride or for the whole summer starting June 3rd.
Rides may be cancelled do to Rain or inclement weather. Ride times and locations may be changed throughout the summer. Please stay in touch on Facebook for more updated information. All levels are welcome on all rides but the level will determine the pace.
Tuesday Time Trail - Advanced level focus. Meet at the Nevis Beach parking lot at 6:00 pm every other Tuesday starting June 9th. We will ride at an easy pace to Dorset then start our time trial from Dorset on County Rds. 7-50-2 and up the hill into Nevis. Tuesdays are meant for riders of all levels who want to improve their speed on the bike. Perfect for triathletes, bike racers, or those who have a competitive streak. The 8 to 12 miles course begins with a 1 min to :30 second staggered start with the fastest rider going last.
Wednesday "No Drop" Group Ride - All level focus. We will start at the Heartland Park in Park Rapids promptly at 5:00 pm each Wednesday. Rides will be different routes on local roads and the Heartland Trail. This ride is meant for all levels of riders. We will regroup at designated stops, so that individual groups of riders can ride at their own pace and still stay connected. This is a 20 to 30 mile ride lasting 1.5 to 3 hours. Those who want to have a social time after the ride will have time to go to dinner at a local restaurant.
Thursday Fast Itasca Ride - Advanced level focus. Starting at the South entrance to Itasca Park at 6:15 each Thursday starting June 11th. Once around the park on the roads, about 22 miles in length. The group starts out together but will likely break up into smaller specific paced groups. This can be a faster paced all out ride for the faster or a slower scenic ride for the slower riders. We do not stop at this ride to wait. Itasca is very hilly and challenging if ridden fast.
Friday Social Ride - Beginning to moderate level focus. Starting in Dorset Heartland parking lot at 9:00 am. Out and back on the Heartland Trail. 1 to 2 hour ride (which will be determined before the ride starts depending on who comes). This fun ride is to get together for an easy ride or to start out your biking experience with more experienced riders. Coffee after, to be determined, at a coffee shop.
Saturday Long Ride - Moderate to advanced level focus. Meet at Muskie Waters Coffee shop in Nevis at 8:30 am for coffee. Ride time at 9:00 am. 40 to 60 mile routes will be determined and posted on Facebook each week. Various routes on local roads, Heartland and Paul Bunyan paved trails. If you can ride 40 miles this ride will be fun for you.
The Headwaters 100 ride will be held Saturday, September 26, 2015.
- 100 mile ride: (Click for route) Follow well-marked routes through our beautiful lakes area leading you to Itasca State Park. A short hike will lead you to the Headwaters of the mighty Mississippi. The ride will follow Wilderness Drive through the park, then will proceed through Lake George, Emmaville, Dorset and Nevis; then will follow the beautiful Heartland Trail back to the finish at the Century School in Park Rapids.
- 75 mile ride: (Click for route) This route will lead you through Itasca State Park, continue on Wilderness Drive through the park, then follow the course back to the Century School by way of Lake George, Emmaville, and Dorset. The ride will finish on the Heartland Trail.
- 45 mile ride: (Click for route) An ideal ride for bikers desiring a shorter route. A beautiful ride through Emmaville, Nevis and back to the finish at the Century School. We encourage leisurely tourers to start early.
Refreshments are included in registration. Food and Beverage stops will be located along the course. Facilities will be located at start, food stops, and finish line.
Please note price changes this year.
Also, no t-shirts are included with registrations 9/21 - 9/26.
- Register on or before 08/30/2015 : $35.00 (includes t-shirt)
- Register 08/31/2015 through 09/20/2015 : $45.00 (includes t-shirt)
- Register 09/21 - 9/26 : $45.00 (does not include t-shirt)
- Children 17 and under : $15.00 (includes t-shirt through 9/20/2015)
Rules of the Road
Itascatur asks that you follow the rules of the road when cycling. Minnesota law gives bicyclists the same rights and privileges as drivers of other vehicles. Cyclists must be familiar with and obey all traffic laws applying to using the road.
Highlights of the law:
- Ride as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, except when passing, preparing for a left turn or avoiding objects, other vehicles or pedestrians.
- Travel in the same direction as other traffic on the roadway.
- When riding on a sidewalk or in a crosswalk, yield the right-of-way to pedestrians and call out to them when preparing to pass.
- Ride no more than two abreast and do not impede traffic.
For the full text of Minnesota Bicycle Traffic laws, please visit Revisor.mn.gov - 2014 Bicycle Statutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
We've compiled a list of the most frequently asked questions here: Headwaters 100 FAQ.
2015 registration through ZapEvent.com
Itascatur is thinking green: We will no longer send brochures with registration forms through the mail; instead you can find register online at ZapEvent.com.
ZapEvent is an established online registration tool that you may already be familiar with; if not we encourage you to check it out! If you prefer to send your registration through the mail, you can still do so.
Click here find out how to pay by check.
Confirm your registration:
Click here to download the mail-in registration form. When mailing in your payment, please pay close attention to the cut-off dates. Payment must be postmarked by the cut-off date for that price to apply.
Headwaters 100 bike ride in Park Rapids, MN
Click here to view the Headwaters 100 slideshow! The slideshow features music from one of our past food-stop entertainers, dancing Light. We're very excited to share everything we love about the Headwaters 100 with you!
Itascatur's favorite rides!
Check out Itascatur's favorite rides- a list of our favorite getaways around our neck of the woods- and lakes! Itascatur has mapped some of their most-traveled routes at Map My Ride and we would like to share them with you. Map My Ride gives details of the ride as well- difficulty, elevation, distance, etc. You can also download an app to your iPhone, Blackberry or Android phone so you can take advantage of Map My Ride on the go. Click here to see Itascatur's favorite rides!
Itascatur wants to thank you, our riders, for making 2014 another great year for the Headwaters 100 ride! We had some fantastic weather for riding.
This year we had 574 from 10 states and Canada.
- 307 riders chose the 100 mile route
- 112 chose the 75 mile route
- 155 rode the 45 mile route
Way to go!
Headwaters 100 Training Guide
Written by Neil King of Up North Athletics. Click on the links to download a printable .pdf file to assist in your training.
Riding plan (.pdf, 20kb)
Ride details (.pdf, 20kb)
Training tips (.pdf, 20kb)
Headwaters 100 2015!
Save the date! September 26, 2015 will be the date of the next Headwaters 100. Watch this space for registration information!